Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Why do nipples become darker when a woman is pregnant?

and would they return back to its first color after pregnancy?

(I'm not a woman)Why do nipples become darker when a woman is pregnant?
for preparation of nursing the baby and higher levels of hormones.plus i learned in my labor and delivery rotation that darker discoloration is an easy target for babies to see when they breastfeed.
im not sure exactly if they return to its original color...but im guessing that if the woman is still breastfeeding months after the delivery that the hormones would still be high...and eventually once breastfeeding is ceased, then the level of hormones would be lower and decrease the color
Good question! I've wondered the same thing (I'm 29 weeks pregnant). Here's what I've come up with - it's a hormonal thing. Lots and lots of hormones = lots and lots of body changes.
also...and this may be stretch, but it makes it easier for the baby to latch on? Maybe it allows the baby to see where they are supposed to go? Just a thought...
This is very strange but true. I don't know why, maybe just from hormones. They do lighten after pregnancy but are still darker than they were before.
Ewww...Just the thought of that makes me never want to have a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment