Thursday, October 21, 2010

Where can my mirena coil have disappeared to? Doctor says strings have disappeared?

3 years ago I had a mirena coil fitted.it was great as I didn't get periods, however in November last year I started to get periods again. I therefore decided to have the coil removed as my husband has had a vasectomy and I therefore don't need it for contraception. I thought the return of the periods was hormonal, due to additional stress and my brothers death. Today I asked my doctor to remove it but she couldn't find the strings. She has booked me in next Friday for a pelvic scan but what if they can't find it either? About 3 weeks ago I had severe somach pains and have had some niggling pains on and off since. I feel confident that I would have felt it if it had come out. If it has dislodged could it cause any internal damage?Where can my mirena coil have disappeared to? Doctor says strings have disappeared?
It will either have fallen out, and this does happen without patients being aware, or it will have been drawn up into the body of the uterus, in which case it will show on the scan. there is a small plastic instrument we insert into the cervix to remove lost coils. There have been a couple of cases of coils finding their way into the peritoneal cavity but this is very rare indeed.
hi there i know someone that was same as you the coil had come out when she went to the toilet and she had no idea so yours might have done the same.
Also Gp for more years than I remember. If the coil is still in the uterus or even if it has gone through uterus into peritoneal cavity it will still show up with scan. If in uterus simple procedure to remove it usually without anaesthetic. If in peritoneal cavity may need small anaesthetic but still easy to remove and unlikely to cause problem. if it has come out then wont be visible on scan so nothing to worry about.

  • low disk space
  • how to be friends with someone
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment